- 1 kg fresh broccoli
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 large onion–diced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp bacon grease
- ½ cup flour
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- 2 cups milk
- 1½ cup + ½ cup cheddar cheese-grated
- pinch of salt (to taste really)
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 1 tsp of chilli flakes ( optional)
- a few pieces of cooked bacon-crumbled
- Put broccoli in a saucepan with the chicken broth
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cover, cook until fork tender (about 15-20 minutes)DO NOT DRAIN
- Cook bacon in a hot pan, remove once crispy. Leave the grease in the pan and add butter
- Melt butter and bacon grease over medium heat in stock pot. Stir in flour, mustard, pepper and salt.
- Slowly add milk, whisking quickly to keep smooth (if it gets lumpy stop adding milk and whisk until smooth)
- Continue to stir until thick and bubbly.
- Add broccoli and broth.
- Slowly add 1½ cups shredded cheese and stir until melted.
- Top with crispy bacon & sprinkle chill flakes